is approached on foot from the parking area. The church was pulled
down in 1865 apart from its chancel, to avoid the need for reconsecration
before rebuilding and enlarging the church. This work was done at
the time when the parishes of Britwell Salome and Britwell Prior were
combined into just the one of Britwell Salome. The planned cost of
rebuilding the church was £548, and for two and a half years
there were no services.
were probably no more than two bells at the church. They came from
an old church and are dated 1761. One was broken and replaced, and
the broken bell can be seen in the vestry. Also kept in the vestry
are the antique candlesticks from the altar, a bible dated 1688 and
an old key (which presumably came from the old church). Following
are some interesting entries from the old Register regarding the church
In ye year 1760 church of Britwell Salom was whitewashed and a new
cushion pulpit cloth and one to ye reading desk and a neat green
cloth for ye communion table.
Mr Stopes Rector put up in ye chancel a rail and bannister in ye
year 1766 - came to 3s/4d.
Whitsun Eve a gallery is put up in ye church at the expense of ye
parishioners and ye new window by ye rector Mr James Stopes. August
21 ye church and chancel were whitewashed 1776. The window came
to 11/-. Setting up ye gallery 7s/6d.