Chapel created in the 17th century by John Stone who married Catherine
Carleton, heiress to the Manor of Brightwell Baldwin. Here can be
seen memorials that he erected for his father and grandfather who
died in London in 1660 and 1640. The text reads thus:
Trobels following the Fathers and ye
fire of London succeeding the sons death;
this memorial to their graves (not to be
found after that dismall conflagration) is
transmitted with their family to this place.
Stone Chapel and also in the churchyard are further memorials to members
of this family which held the manor, with one short break, for over
400 years. The entire east wall of the chapel is filled with Baroque
memorials on the cornice of which are a skull and crests against a
background of smoke and flames. On the north wall a monument, signed
by Westmacott, commemorates William Lowndes-Stone. On the same wall
is a carved cartouche with two cherubs supporting drapery and flowers,
a memorial to Edward Stone. The memorial on the south wall, the inscriptions
framed by a broken pediment and crest within four Tuscan pilasters,
is to Francis Lowe and his family. On the same wall is the sad record
of the deaths of William Francis Lowndes-Stone and his son, aged two,
of scarlet fever.
in the Stone Chapel windows was restored in 1903, as far as possible
to its original condition. In the left-hand window the principal figures
are Saint Peter with his keys and Saint Paul with a sword, both under
canopies. The glass is 14th century, but the lower parts have been
much restored. The lower lights are chiefly remarkable for their borders.
On the left is portrayed a naked soul being weighed in the balance,
with the devil trying to pull down the other balance. In the traceries
above are several arms, one of an unidentified family, another referring
to Robert Lowndes-Stone-Norton, who in 1862 married Catherine Lowndes-Stone
who inherited Brightwell Park. The remaining two arms may be royal
badges or the crests of local families.
right-hand window of the Stone Chapel the principal figures are Saint
Paul the Apostle and the Virgin Annunciate in 15th century glass.
Above the window there is also several arms, with those of the Stody
family although no connection to Brightwell Baldwin has been found;
the arms of the Barentines of Chalgrove who have many local connections
- Sir William Barentine and Sir William Bereford married co-heiresses
of Hugh de Plescy in the 14th century; the arms of the Bereford family;
and the arms of Henry Waters and Julian his wife, although nothing
further is known about this family.
the windows are two stone tomb chests, the burial places of John and
Anthony Carleton who died in 1547 and 1575.
the Stone Chapel entrance are two funeral hatchments, the one inside
for the Reverend James Norton who died in 1833, the other for William
Francis Lowndes-Stone who died in 1858.
oak screen was erected in 1906 to replace one made of deal.