of St Bartholomew, which was rebuilt in the 15th century. It was again
restored in 1911, with the foundations being dug out and strengthened
with cement, inside and out refaced with Gibraltar stone, and new
turret steps, belfry door and oak roof installed. At the time of the
restoration a clock was also installed, and it is interesting to note
that ever since its installation it has been wound up weekly and looked
after by three generations of the Gammon family of Glebe Farm.
recorded in 1553 that there were three bells in the steple and
onn sanctus belle. When the tower was restored in 1911 the number
of bells was increased and in addition to the sanctus bell there are
- 3 cwt. 3 qrs. 15 lbs.
Second - 4 cwt. 1 qr. 26 lbs.
Third - 5 cwt. 0 qr. 21 lbs.
Fourth - 5 cwt. 2 qrs. 15 lbs.
Fifth - 7 cwt. 2 qrs. 1 lb.
Tenor - 9 cwt. 0 qr. 7 lbs.
Sanctus - 1 cwt.
four are inscribed Mears & Steinbeck. Founders London 1911,
and have the Whitechapel foundary mark. The fourth has in addition
We praise three O Lord. 1911. The fifth, which was the original
treble, is inscribed Feare Godx637 and was by Ellis Knight I.
The tenor, which was the old second, is inscribed * sancta * maria * ls
and was by John Saunders.
tenor, which weighed over 11 cwts., and had been cast at the Wokingham
foundry, was inscribed Sancta Maria Ora Pro Nobis. It was melted
down when the new bells were cast.
the bells have been in regular use is proved by the many entries for
their maintenance in the churchwardens' accounts. Payments for new
ropes are the most frequent, but there are also expenses for work
on the metal and woodwork. The bells used to be rung annually on Gunpowder
Treason and Coronation days, for which the ringerse were paid 2/6
on each occasion. In 1714 the ringers were paid 5/- for ringing when
we heard ye King was comin'. Parishes could be fined for not ringing
when the Sovereign was in the district and probably, on this occasion,
William III was on his way to or from Oxford.