Saint Bartholomew, the parish church
is largely 14th century, but two features, a deeply splayed 13th century
lancet in the north wall of the chancel and the semi-circular stair
turret of the tower which is also suspected to be 13th century, suggest
that an earlier church stood on the same site, and the current church
was built incorporating parts of it. The chapel north of the chancel
was added in the 15th century.
1523 to 1955, with a brief interruption at the end of the 17th century,
the patronage of St Bartholomew was held by the same family, the Carletons
either in direct line or through marriage.
Carleton sold the patronage to Sir John Simeon, but his brother Dudley,
Viscount Dorchester, bought it back in 1630.
William transferred the patronage to R. Richmond-Watson in 1955, and
to Frank D. Wright in 1963.
Carleton descendants who did not affect the inheritance of the patronage
are not entered on this tree.
on the thumbnails on the right to view each photo at a larger size.